After another day back at high school as part of some work experience, I was inspired to dig out my copy of 'Ways of Seeing' by John Berger after seeing it lying about in a classroom, which I first read back in sixth form as part of a photography assignment.
One chapter in particular stood out to me, which was the chapter regarding advertising (not the chapter which was highlighted to me for my photography assignment). The idea conveyed was that advertising was based on the concept of envy- envying the model in the dress, envying your future self in the dress, envying the thought of anyone else with the dress that you don't have. I can really relate to this concept (being female) despite how long ago the book was written (1972) and am wondering how far into the future envy will be one of, if not THE, main reasons for purchasing an advertised product?
No comments:
Post a Comment