Thursday, 24 September 2009

The Charm School

I can honestly say that this book is really the best book I have ever read. No exaggeration. As soon as I had finished it, I ran around the house seeing if anyone else had read it so that I could talk about it with them. To my frustration, nobody had, so I had to wait a few days anxiously gathering my thoughts about everything to do with the book so that I could maybe discuss it coherently with another human being, until finally my sister finished the book and agreed with my sentiment that it is, definitely and without a doubt, the best book she has ever read. And this isn't a statement from people who have only ever read 2 books in their whole life... as quite avid readers, it is the best book of many. But don't take our word for it, I have a copy and am quite willing to lend it out and wait for you to finish it, so that I can then bombard you with conversation regarding the excellence of this book. 

The story beings when an American tourist driving in the depths of Russia comes across a fellow American, who appears to be on the run from somebody, who tells him that he is a former soldier in Vietnam who was taken from the jungles, and forced to become a tutor at a place called The Charm School. This is a secret school in Russia where young KGB agents learn to speak, act and look american down to the finest detail, in order that they can enter America, blend in with the american people and surroundings, and spy. When 2 agents at the American Embassy in Russia become embroiled in the scandal after the tourist is found dead, the story follows them as they try to avoid the KGB and adhere to the many rules of Russia, in order to save the American soldiers who have been forced to teach at the Charm School. They also happen to fall in love, which adds another dimension to the story and makes it all the more emotional.  

Demille's expert storytelling leaves the reader totally off-guard to receive all the unexpected twists and turns integrated into the tale, and on numerous occasions I actually gasped out loud. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who can read.

No comments:

Post a Comment