Monday, 5 October 2009

Don't be a numptee

I came across Numptee when my boyfriend came home from work, and being an employee of Yorkshire Water, told me about the new campaign which they have launched to try and reduce sewer flooding. Whilst this isn't a very nice subject, I went to their website to check out the video of Numptee being, well, a numpty. Flushing nappies down the toilet and cooking fat down the sink are two ways which contribute to sewer flooding, and Numptee aims to educate people in a fun way to try and get them to change their ways when it comes to disposing of waste. 

Now, I know that nappies shouldn't go down the toilet, and I also know that kitchen roll shouldn't go down the toilet. I didn't however know that cooking oil shouldn't go down the sink, and therefore in my opinion, even if I wasn't the biggest numpty in the world, I have still benefited from seeing the video as I have learnt something new from this character. The tone of voice of the video is fun, with the animated character getting himself covered in waste more than once. The flippant tone of the animation makes the viewer more inclined to keep watching, as a lecture in what not to do would just turn viewers away. By making the subject more fun, this animation has made the topic more likely to be listened to, as it is friendly as opposed to patronising. The use of the character also makes the video appeal to younger ages, who are often unaware of the consequences of flushing stuff down the toilet and in the sink, and therefore it acts as an educational video as well as a fun animation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment